Originating in India thousands of years ago, yoga has become an increasingly popular form of exercise and stress reduction. The chances are the thought of taking a class and seeing how you like it has crossed your mind. So here are 10 good reasons to try yoga:
1. Yoga improves your flexibility and reduces your risk of injury
2. To reduce stress, yoga focuses on your breathing and movements.
3. Gain strength and stamina. More vigorous styles of yoga, such as Vinyasa and Ashtanga, promote strength and stamina as well as flexibility and relaxation.
4. Improving your balance and stability. Balancing poses require you to engage your core stabiliser muscles, which can help improve overall stability.
5. To improve your posture. Yoga poses strengthen and open tight areas of the body, such as the shoulders and muscles of the upper back, which is necessary for good posture.
6. Improved Breathing. One of the first things you will learn in yoga class is the correct way to breath. These slower, deeper breathes increase the amount of oxygen in your blood while helping to improve the efficiency of your lungs.
7. To help with pain relief. Yoga can help you ease several different pains through the combination of physical stretching, body awareness, and mental relaxation.
8. Weight Loss. Yes, yoga helps you burn calories and reduce cortisol levels, both of which are extremely important when trying to lose or control your weight. Additionally, yoga classes will help you improve your eating habits by encouraging a healthier lifestyle and diet.
9. Help you achieve greater focus. Do not underestimate the positive mental effects that yoga will have on your brain. The principles you will learn will help you relax, focus on the present, become more aware of your surroundings, and generally improve your outlook on life.
10. Eat healthier. Nothing is worse than eating a greasy burger and fries after an intense yoga class. Scratch that — reverse it. Nothing is worse than an intense yoga class after eating a greasy burger and fries. With continued practice, yoga makes your body feel so wholesome and healthy, you’ll think twice before you fill it with unhealthy junk foods.